About Me

My photo
I am a lifelong student of military history with particular interest in the Battle of Antietam. I work for the federal government in Washington DC and have two young adult children who I love very much. I currently volunteer at Antietam and devote much time to the study of this battle and the Maryland Campaign. I enjoy collecting notable contemporary quotations by and about the men of Antietam. Since 2013 I have been conducting in depth research on the regular artillery companies of the Union Army and their leaders. I hope to turn this into a book on this subject in the future. My perspective comes from a 28-year career in the U.S. Army. Travels took me to World War II battlefields in Europe and the Pacific where American valor ended the tyranny of Nazism and Empire. But our country faced its own greatest challenge 80 years earlier during the Civil War. And it was the critical late summer of 1862, when Robert E. Lee launched the Maryland Campaign. It is an incredible story of drama, carnage, bravery, and missed opportunities that culminated around the fields and woodlots of peaceful Sharpsburg MD. So join me as I make this journey South from the North Woods.

Sunday, March 15, 2009

East Woods Reforestation Begins



Yesterday marked the official start day of an ambitious project to reforest the open ground at Antietam National Battlefield that was originally part of the East Woods. I was proud that my son Jim Rosebrock elected as his Boy Scout Eagle project, to plant trees in the East Woods. He with several other groups are the first ones to plant trees on the grounds south of the current East Woods. Jim, age 17, brought eighteen boys and parents from Boy Scout Troop 279 in Point of Rocks Maryland. Antietam Ranger Joe Calzarette taught the boys how to properly plant the trees and for the next few hours, the work went forward. In time I am told, there will be some 11,000 trees planted. We made a good start putting around 120 trees into the ground yesterday. Afterward, the folks from Troop 279 got to watch Antietam's volunteer artillery battery, Battery B, 4th US Artillery firing their Model 1857 Napolean behind the Mumma Farm House as the boys consumed a mountain of pizzas. It was a great day!

The Western Maryland Interpretive Association (WMIA) is accepting donations for this effort in the Museum Bookstore at the Visitor's Center. If you want to get physical and actually plant some trees, you can schedule this by contacting Joe at his email: Joe_Calzarette@nps.gov.

No comments:

Post a Comment