About Me

My photo
I am a lifelong student of military history with particular interest in the Battle of Antietam. I work for the federal government in Washington DC and have two young adult children who I love very much. I currently volunteer at Antietam and devote much time to the study of this battle and the Maryland Campaign. I enjoy collecting notable contemporary quotations by and about the men of Antietam. Since 2013 I have been conducting in depth research on the regular artillery companies of the Union Army and their leaders. I hope to turn this into a book on this subject in the future. My perspective comes from a 28-year career in the U.S. Army. Travels took me to World War II battlefields in Europe and the Pacific where American valor ended the tyranny of Nazism and Empire. But our country faced its own greatest challenge 80 years earlier during the Civil War. And it was the critical late summer of 1862, when Robert E. Lee launched the Maryland Campaign. It is an incredible story of drama, carnage, bravery, and missed opportunities that culminated around the fields and woodlots of peaceful Sharpsburg MD. So join me as I make this journey South from the North Woods.

Sunday, August 1, 2010

2,000 Quotes

This weekend, I went over the 2,000 quote mark as I continue capturing quotes related to the Maryland Campaign and the men and women who lived and died in the battles of the late summer of 1862. I started this effort when I launched South From the North Woods in January of 2009. I expanded it when I started to make the quotes available on my other blog Antietam Voices. The experience has been a humbling one for it underscores what is out there that I have not gotten to and may never get to. Initially most of my quotes were about the men who fought at the battle. This is because my earliest "collecting" came from my reading of biographies of McClellan, Lee, Jackson, Stuart, the Hills, Hooker, Richardson, and others. Later, as I read works that are more and more just devoted to the Battle of Antietam and the Maryland Campaign, the number of quotes on the battle itself has now grown to around 25% of the total and will continue to become a larger and larger share of the quote database. See more about my quote quest at another post on Antietam Voices

No comments:

Post a Comment