About Me

My photo
I am a lifelong student of military history with particular interest in the Battle of Antietam. I work for the federal government in Washington DC and have two young adult children who I love very much. I currently volunteer at Antietam and devote much time to the study of this battle and the Maryland Campaign. I enjoy collecting notable contemporary quotations by and about the men of Antietam. Since 2013 I have been conducting in depth research on the regular artillery companies of the Union Army and their leaders. I hope to turn this into a book on this subject in the future. My perspective comes from a 28-year career in the U.S. Army. Travels took me to World War II battlefields in Europe and the Pacific where American valor ended the tyranny of Nazism and Empire. But our country faced its own greatest challenge 80 years earlier during the Civil War. And it was the critical late summer of 1862, when Robert E. Lee launched the Maryland Campaign. It is an incredible story of drama, carnage, bravery, and missed opportunities that culminated around the fields and woodlots of peaceful Sharpsburg MD. So join me as I make this journey South from the North Woods.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

September 8, 1862 Voices


Joseph Mansfield

 "Brig. Gen. J.K.F. Mansfield, U.S. Volunteers, is relieved from duty in the Army of Virginia and will report in person to Major General McClellan."
E.D. Townsend, September 8 1862. Special Order 229 assigning Mansfield to the Army of the Potomac. From OR 19 (2), page 214.










H. Watters Berryman, 1st Texas Regimen
"I never saw such pretty country or an old one in my life,…splendid crops have been raised in this part of Maryland and everything good to eat."
H. Watters Berryman, September 8 1862.  Pvt Watters Berryman of Co I 1st Texas describes Maryland. From "First Texas in the Cornfield." by George E. Otott.  The Maryland Campaign of 1862 Civil War Regiments:  A Journal of the American Civil War. Vol 5, No 3. Campbell CA:  Savas Publishing Company, 1998. page 77

No comments:

Post a Comment