About Me

My photo
I am a lifelong student of military history with particular interest in the Battle of Antietam. I work for the federal government in Washington DC and have two young adult children who I love very much. I currently volunteer at Antietam and devote much time to the study of this battle and the Maryland Campaign. I enjoy collecting notable contemporary quotations by and about the men of Antietam. Since 2013 I have been conducting in depth research on the regular artillery companies of the Union Army and their leaders. I hope to turn this into a book on this subject in the future. My perspective comes from a 28-year career in the U.S. Army. Travels took me to World War II battlefields in Europe and the Pacific where American valor ended the tyranny of Nazism and Empire. But our country faced its own greatest challenge 80 years earlier during the Civil War. And it was the critical late summer of 1862, when Robert E. Lee launched the Maryland Campaign. It is an incredible story of drama, carnage, bravery, and missed opportunities that culminated around the fields and woodlots of peaceful Sharpsburg MD. So join me as I make this journey South from the North Woods.

Friday, September 7, 2012

"You cannot separate politics and military operations,"





Doctor Tom Clemens perhaps the foremost living expert on the Maryland Campaign and editor of the 2-volume edition of Ezra Carmen’s papers spoke recently at the Pentagon as part of the Department of Defense Historical Speaker Series.  An article by the American Forces Press Service covered Tom’s speech.  See the article here.  If you entertain any degree of objectivity on the issue of George McClellan's role, read this article.  Afterward in an interview with Claudette Roulo, Tom had this to say. “When we impart history for the masses, we tend to generalize. We tend to create heroes and villains and things become more black and white, good and bad, right and wrong. We know that two of the great icons of American history are Abraham Lincoln, the martyred president, and Robert E. Lee, the noble soldier. So when George McClellan argues with one and defeats the other, it doesn’t fit into the mold. We have to somehow reduce McClellan and minimalize his achievements so that the icons remain icons.”

No comments:

Post a Comment