About Me

My photo
I am a lifelong student of military history with particular interest in the Battle of Antietam. I work for the federal government in Washington DC and have two young adult children who I love very much. I currently volunteer at Antietam and devote much time to the study of this battle and the Maryland Campaign. I enjoy collecting notable contemporary quotations by and about the men of Antietam. Since 2013 I have been conducting in depth research on the regular artillery companies of the Union Army and their leaders. I hope to turn this into a book on this subject in the future. My perspective comes from a 28-year career in the U.S. Army. Travels took me to World War II battlefields in Europe and the Pacific where American valor ended the tyranny of Nazism and Empire. But our country faced its own greatest challenge 80 years earlier during the Civil War. And it was the critical late summer of 1862, when Robert E. Lee launched the Maryland Campaign. It is an incredible story of drama, carnage, bravery, and missed opportunities that culminated around the fields and woodlots of peaceful Sharpsburg MD. So join me as I make this journey South from the North Woods.

Sunday, August 1, 2010

A Couple of Older Books Worth Taking a Look At

As I capture quotes from various sources, I discover in the bibliography or footnotes, other books out there, some not necessarily new, that I wish to add to my library. As economics are always a factor, I see if I can find them online relatively cheap. Last week, I found two such books.

The first is A Diary of Battle - The Personal Journals of Colonel Charles S. Wainright 1861-1865 edited by Allan Nevins (New York: De Capo Press 1998). Wainright is a New York artilleryman who served throughout the Civil War with the Army of the Potomac. It is a first person original source written by Colonel Wainright in the form of a journal. What drew me to the book were some quotes I found elsewhere by Wainright on Joseph Hooker. The book is proving to be an interesting and compelling read.

The other book is Lee' Tigers by Terry L. Jones (Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press, 1987). This is the story of the Louisiana troops in the Army of Northern Virginia. I became aware of this book as I was studying the fighting on the northern end of Antietam and became acquainted with the brigades of Harry Hays and William Starke. As I always do when I get a new book, I jump to the Battle of Sharpsburg to see what new details I could glean but was a little disappointed that the book doesn't add much to what I already know. Nevertheless it seems to be a well written and well document account which I will get back to at some point.

Both books are available at Amazon in the $2 - $3 price range so they are a bargain!

No comments:

Post a Comment