About Me

My photo
I am a lifelong student of military history with particular interest in the Battle of Antietam. I work for the federal government in Washington DC and have two young adult children who I love very much. I currently volunteer at Antietam and devote much time to the study of this battle and the Maryland Campaign. I enjoy collecting notable contemporary quotations by and about the men of Antietam. Since 2013 I have been conducting in depth research on the regular artillery companies of the Union Army and their leaders. I hope to turn this into a book on this subject in the future. My perspective comes from a 28-year career in the U.S. Army. Travels took me to World War II battlefields in Europe and the Pacific where American valor ended the tyranny of Nazism and Empire. But our country faced its own greatest challenge 80 years earlier during the Civil War. And it was the critical late summer of 1862, when Robert E. Lee launched the Maryland Campaign. It is an incredible story of drama, carnage, bravery, and missed opportunities that culminated around the fields and woodlots of peaceful Sharpsburg MD. So join me as I make this journey South from the North Woods.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

September 13, 1862 Voices


Joseph K. F. Mansfield

"We may never meet again."
Joseph K. F. Mansfield September 13 1862.  Joseph Mansfield bidding farewell to fellow Connecticut native Gideon Welles as he departs to assume command of the 12th Corps.  Mansfield will be mortally wounded four days later in the East Woods at the Battle of Antietam.  From Lincoln's Darkest Year The War in 1862 by William Marvel. Boston: Houghtin Mifflin Company Company, 2008. page 188.











William Nelson Pendleton

"bold, prompt, energetic, and sagacious"
William Nelson Pendleton September 13 1862
Pendleton in a letter to President Davis who had asked Pendleton for "occasional confidential memoranda of the positions, doings etc of the army."  Pendleton is describing General Lee.
From Taken at the Flood Robert E. Lee & Confederate Strategy in the Maryland Campaign of 1862 by Joseph L. Harsh.  Kent:  The Kent State University Press, 1999. page 222 

No comments:

Post a Comment