About Me

My photo
I am a lifelong student of military history with particular interest in the Battle of Antietam. I work for the federal government in Washington DC and have two young adult children who I love very much. I currently volunteer at Antietam and devote much time to the study of this battle and the Maryland Campaign. I enjoy collecting notable contemporary quotations by and about the men of Antietam. Since 2013 I have been conducting in depth research on the regular artillery companies of the Union Army and their leaders. I hope to turn this into a book on this subject in the future. My perspective comes from a 28-year career in the U.S. Army. Travels took me to World War II battlefields in Europe and the Pacific where American valor ended the tyranny of Nazism and Empire. But our country faced its own greatest challenge 80 years earlier during the Civil War. And it was the critical late summer of 1862, when Robert E. Lee launched the Maryland Campaign. It is an incredible story of drama, carnage, bravery, and missed opportunities that culminated around the fields and woodlots of peaceful Sharpsburg MD. So join me as I make this journey South from the North Woods.

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Snow Flying

It has not been much of a winter here in western Maryland.  For many that is a good thing but a boy from Buffalo likes to see the snow fly.  When the forecast yesterday called for a little snow, I grabbed my camera and headed for Antietam.  It is fairly frequent to get pictures when the snow is on the ground but I was lucky yesterday to be there when it was coming down.  I also saw fellow Antietam blogger Dave Maher on the field.  Dave is a great photographer and we will hopefully see some of his shots posted soon. I took nearly 100 pictures before I ran out of battery and flying snow.  Here are twelve that really stood out.  You can see all the pictures at the Antietam Battlefield Guides Facebook page here.  Not a lot of talk this Sunday morning, just a dozen good pictures.
At the National Cemetery
The Joseph Poffenberger House

The 12th Pennsylvania Cavalry from Mansfield Monument

The East Woods and new tree plantings

128th and 137th Pennsylvania Monuments

The southern fence of the Cornfield

A pale winter sun

Battery B, 4th US Artillery with Nicodemus Heights behind

Dunker Church and Maryland Monument from the Mumma farm lane

Tompkins Battery

132nd Pennsylvania Monument at the Sunken Road

Richardson Avenue looking south

Otto and Sherrick farm houses

Looking east from the Final Attack auto stop

No comments:

Post a Comment