About Me

My photo
I am a lifelong student of military history with particular interest in the Battle of Antietam. I work for the federal government in Washington DC and have two young adult children who I love very much. I currently volunteer at Antietam and devote much time to the study of this battle and the Maryland Campaign. I enjoy collecting notable contemporary quotations by and about the men of Antietam. Since 2013 I have been conducting in depth research on the regular artillery companies of the Union Army and their leaders. I hope to turn this into a book on this subject in the future. My perspective comes from a 28-year career in the U.S. Army. Travels took me to World War II battlefields in Europe and the Pacific where American valor ended the tyranny of Nazism and Empire. But our country faced its own greatest challenge 80 years earlier during the Civil War. And it was the critical late summer of 1862, when Robert E. Lee launched the Maryland Campaign. It is an incredible story of drama, carnage, bravery, and missed opportunities that culminated around the fields and woodlots of peaceful Sharpsburg MD. So join me as I make this journey South from the North Woods.

Monday, September 3, 2012

Dont Miss It! SHAF Lecture Series on the Battle of Antietam


The Mumma Barn at Antietam National Battlefield
Save Historic Antietam Foundation Inc. will host a special lecture series in honor of the 150th Anniversary of the battle of Antietam.  The lectures will take place in the Mumma Farm barn at Antietam National Battlefield on Saturday September 8, starting at 9:00.  This event will also feature presentations from the recipients of two special scholarships funded by SHAF.  Daniel Vermilya has received the first Joseph L.  Harsh Scholar Award and will share his research on the Union Army at Antietam.  Susan Rosenvoldt was awarded the special Sesquicentennial Award and she will share her research about the role and actions of Clara Barton at Sharpsburg.  Other speakers will include Dennis Frye Chief Historian of Harpers Ferry National Park, Dr. Mark Snell, director of the George Tyler Moore Center for Study of the Civil War and local columnist and write Tim Rowland.  The event is free and open to the public, and no reservations will be required.   Donations to SHAF will be accepted and there will be book signing by the authors and other items for sale.  
I am particularly looking forward to the presentation by my good friend and colleague Antietam Ranger Dan Vermilya.  The first recipient of the Harsh Scholar Award, Dan will be discussing his findings on the strength, experience, and condition of the Army of the Potomac.  Dan spent many hours at the National Archives reviewing original material that has not seen human eyes for many years. I have had the pleasure on many Sunday afternoons at the Antietam Visitor's Center, over the past six months to talk with Dan on his research.  His presentation promises to be very informative and an important addition to the scholarship of the Maryland Campaign in the best tradition of Dr. Harsh.    
For more information on the program, see the SHAF website here.  See you there!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the kind words Jim, and for all of your help, advice, and input on the project. It would not have been possible without good friends like you to help along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pleasure is mine. I look forward to the program. Warm Regards Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim, unless my job creates a work requirement, I plan on being there too. I've been trying to keep this weekend free ever since Tom first posted it on his website. This will be my first trip to Antietam since one of the Ranger-led walks last Spring. That's too long between visits! Looking forward to hearing what this fine group of historians have to say.
    Ron Dickey

    ReplyDelete