About Me

My photo
I am a lifelong student of military history with particular interest in the Battle of Antietam. I work for the federal government in Washington DC and have two young adult children who I love very much. I currently volunteer at Antietam and devote much time to the study of this battle and the Maryland Campaign. I enjoy collecting notable contemporary quotations by and about the men of Antietam. Since 2013 I have been conducting in depth research on the regular artillery companies of the Union Army and their leaders. I hope to turn this into a book on this subject in the future. My perspective comes from a 28-year career in the U.S. Army. Travels took me to World War II battlefields in Europe and the Pacific where American valor ended the tyranny of Nazism and Empire. But our country faced its own greatest challenge 80 years earlier during the Civil War. And it was the critical late summer of 1862, when Robert E. Lee launched the Maryland Campaign. It is an incredible story of drama, carnage, bravery, and missed opportunities that culminated around the fields and woodlots of peaceful Sharpsburg MD. So join me as I make this journey South from the North Woods.

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Joining the Ranks



I am proud to say that my daughter Rachel age 17 has joined the ranks of volunteers at Antietam National Battlefield. Rachel started last weekend. Today to add to her knowledge of things Civil War, we journeyed to Gettysburg to take in several of the Ranger programs there. One program we enjoyed was a Civil War Soldier program given by Gettysburg Ranger Matt Atkinson. Matt brought Rachel up to model the uniform and accoutrements of a Union soldier in the Civil War. She is pictured here at left. I am very proud of Antietam's newest volunteer who has jumped into it with both feet already borrowing a bunch of my books and videos this week. She is very dedicated. It must be in the blood for she joins her brother Jim, now a lance corporal in the United States Marine Corps who also volunteered. Jim also served with Antietam's Battery B, 4th U.S. Artillery, worked in the book store, and was a member of the park's Youth Conservation Corps for a season. There is Jim in his Black Hat brigade uniform with his old man at the Sharpsburg Memorial Day parade in 2010. If you cant already tell, I am very proud of my two kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment